So Easy Crispy Baked Cheesy Shredded Chicken Taquitos
Before you read any further....I am going to warn you that this recipe has Velveeta in it, so if you are a Velveeta hater- turn away now! For those who can bear the thought of eating Velveeta, then continue on. This recipe is so ridiculously easy to make and is lower in fat (4.5 grams/serving) than its fried counterpart that has up to 20 grams of fat. Kids love them because they are hand held and portable. I love them because they are baked in the oven and get just as crispy as the deep fried version. Dip them into your favorite salsa, low fat sour cream or guacamole. I guarantee that your family will love them!
1 rotisserie chicken or rotisserie turkey breasts, shredded with all skin and fat removed
1-2 tsp olive oil
2-10 oz cans Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 tbsp sugar
16 corn tortillas
12 oz Velveeta, cut into 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 squares, then into 4 strips
4 green onions, thinly sliced
non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Shred chicken or turkey meat and set aside. Place olive oil in pan and heat on medium high. Add shredded meat and cook until meat begins to brown for approximately 7-10 minutes. Make sure to turn over occasionally. Add pepper and Ro*Tel. Continue turning until most of the liquid had been evaporated.
3. Place 12 corn tortillas wrapped in a damp paper towel and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes to soften. Remove from microwave oven.
4. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
4. Lay one tortilla on plate and place 1-2 tablespoons of meat mixture along the center. Add one slice of Velveeta. Sprinkle with green onions.
5. Roll up tight and place a toothpick through the center. Set on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
7. Cook for approximately 25 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove toothpicks. Centers will be very hot! Serve with salsa and light sour cream. Enjoy!