Turkey Kielbasa and Bacon Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 pound reduce fat turkey kielbasa or chicken sausage*
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-1/2 cups low fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low fat white or sharp Cheddar cheese *
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low fat Monterey Jack cheese*
- 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked, crumbled, divided *
- 4 green onions, sliced
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut sausage into 1/2" cubes. Add sausage to a large skillet; cook and stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned. Remove sausage from skillet; keep warm.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse and keep warm.
3. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Stir in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in cheese, 4 slices of the bacon and green onion stirring until cheese melted. Sprinkle with remaining bacon. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are bubbling.
*recipe has been modified from original version