Sweet & Savory Sausage Apple Cranberry Breakfast Torta
Ingredients:1 lb spicy turkey sausage, cooked, crumbled, drained
1 pkg. (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 large golden delicious apples, peeled, chopped
1/2 cup sweetened cranberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 eggs, beaten (can switch out half of eggs with substitute or whites)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low fat cheddar cheese, divided
1 egg, beaten
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Unfold pastry sheets. On lightly floured surface roll out sheets to two (12-inch squares). Spray bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan with cooking spray. Line with one sheet dough on bottom and upsides of pan.
2. Toss apples and cranberries with sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
3. Beat eggs and vanilla in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add ricotta cheese; mix well.
4. Brown ground turkey sausage and drain between two paper towels. Layer half of the sausage, ricotta cheese mixtrue, apples and cheddar cheese on top of the crust. Repeat layer.
5. Top with remaining pastry, fold under edges of pastry and tuck inside of pan. Brush pastry with remaining beaten egg. Cut 4 slits in top crust.
6. Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10-15 minutes. Run small knife around edge of pan to loosen crust before removing rim. Cut into 12 wedges.