Lemon-Poppy Seed Belgian Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups cold club soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Crème fraîche (optional)
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- Blackberry Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 (12-oz.) package frozen blackberries, thawed*
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- *Frozen mixed berries, thawed, may be substituted.
1. Stir together baking mix, poppy seeds, and lemon zest. Whisk together club soda, egg, and butter in a small bowl; gently whisk egg mixture into poppy seed mixture. (Mixture will be lumpy.) Let stand 3 minutes.
2. Cook batter in a preheated, oiled Belgian-style waffle iron until golden (about 3/4 to 1 cup batter each). Serve with Blackberry Maple Syrup and, if desired, crème fraîche. Garnish, if desired.
Note: If you don't have a Belgian-style waffle iron, use 1/2 cup batter for each waffle in a traditional waffle iron.