Delicious Cheesy Baked Ziti
Ingredients: Olive oil spray
1 (14½-ounce) box fiber enriched ziti or penne rigate (I used Ronzoni
1 (15-ounce) container fat free ricotta cheese
2 large egg whites
8 ounces (4 cups) finely shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
3½ cups low-fat, low-sodium, low-sugar marinara sauce
2 tablespoons grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
Directions: 1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly mist a 13x9x2-inch ceramic or glass baking dish with the olive oil spray.
2. Cook the ziti according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix the ricotta, egg whites, and all but 1 cup of the mozzarella until well combined. Add the garlic powder and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the cooked pasta until well combined.
4. Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the prepared dish. Add half of the pasta in an even layer over the sauce. Top the pasta evenly with another 1 cup sauce. Layer the remaining pasta over the sauce. Spoon the remaining 1½ cups sauce evenly over the top of the pasta, then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and the Parmesan over the top.
5. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes longer, or until the mozzarella is melted. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
6. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces or spoon among 8 bowls and serve.