Creamy Low Fat Split Pea Soup
- 1 pound dried split peas
- 1 pound low fat chicken sausage of your choice, cut into very small pieces
- 6 cans of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup chopped celery, cut into small pieces
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into very small pieces
- 1 tsp teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp sugar or agave nectar
- 2 tsp of Costco no salt seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped very fine
- 1 bag of frozen peas
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 pieces of bacon cooked until crispy and chopped (optional)
In a large pan coated with 1 tsp oil, brown chicken sausage, carrots, potatoes and celery.
In a large pot add dried split peas, chicken broth, all seasonings, and chicken sausage mixture.
Cover, and cook on medium for approximately 2 hours, or until spilt peas are soft.
Add the frozen bag of peas and cook for 30 minutes more.
Using a potato masher, smash cooked peas until most are incorporated.
Remove bay leaves before ladling into bowls.
Serve with a handful of crunchy croutons and 1 tsp of crumpled crispy bacon on top…yum!